8.02.2008

Canine Cookies



We have certain rituals/traditions in the Lusk Family---especially with our road trips. If we make a trip south on I-35, we stop in West at the Village Bakery for kolaches. If we head southwest into the Dublin/Stephenville area, we stop for Dublin Dr Pepper (please note there is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper). When we go north into Cooke County we stop at Dieter's for barbecue and red beer on draught in Lindsay. No trip into the Hill Country just west of Austin would be complete without a quick sidetrip to Luckenbach......you get the idea.


Today, I went to Navarro County to visit my longtime good friend, Karen. For old times' sake, I asked if we could have lunch at the Old Mexican Inn in Corsicana---of course! she said. OMI (Old Mexican Inn) has a killer dip they serve with their chips and hot sauce. It's the color of Longhorn burnt orange---but please don't hold that against it or the OMI! This is some good stuff--you've never had anything like it. The base is straight mayonnaise, with lots of paprika, garlic powder, and some vinegar added. That may not sound appetizing, but you could seriously become hooked to this stuff. I will let you know those with mayophobia should avoid it, however.


When I told Ruth I was headed to Corsicana, she said please bring orange dip home along with some cherry cookies from Collin Street Bakery, "Home of the Famous Corsicana Fruiitcake".

We haven't had orange dip in probably three years. I was prepared with a cooler and ice packs so the dip would make it home safely.


After some cheese enchiladas and nachos, Karen and I went out to the Collin Street Bakery Store on I-45---a veritable busy bee place, tourists making the sampling rounds and buying bucketloads of breads, pies, cookies, and drinking 10 cent Costa Rican coffee from coffee beans grown in Costa Rican Collin Street coffee plantations. I purchased some cheese/jalapeno dinner rolls and 2 dozen cherry icebox cookies. I used to bring home macaroons for Clu Flu, but he was the only one who liked those, so it was just the pink cherry cookies today for Zack and Ruth.


I put the bakery box of cookies on the kitchen table, took out 2 and drank a glass of milk---the last bit on hand. After a while, I fed the dogs, then made a quick trip to the store for a container of milk. I noticed something was amiss when I got home, but couldn't figure it out...that is until I saw the EMPTY bakery box on the floor behind the table!!!!!!! I had not left the cookie box at the edge of the table, and no chair was pulled away from the table. Katie had just lunged for the box, and brought it down from the table for the kill. I swear, I was gone 10 minutes!


Made a quick call to Ruth to tell her the bad news---she was disappointed. I am just worried that since Katie has a delicate gastrointestinal system, I will have a day of dealing with that aftermath tomorrow. Twenty-four or so pink cherry sugar cookies will do just about anyone in!

4 comments:

Ruth said...

i like the coconut macaroons!! Katie sucks. We were looking forward to those cookies!!

brooke said...

i can't believe that!! actually i can. i bet lexie told her to get them.


so its NOT just luna :-)

Anonymous said...

Cherry cookies good........Katie bad.

Ruth said...

ps...the dip is soooo good! at least she didn't get to that!!