6.30.2008

back yard drama

After the last flood in 2006, the fence was washed away. This time, we put up the fence on the north side with every other slat removed (to allow water current to flow THROUGH the fence and hopefully not knock it down).

Since that time, the dogs have been able to view the outside world and see people on the jogging trail pass by. They camp out at the corner of the fence hoping to catch a glimpse of something interesting.

The openings in the fence have allowed bunnies, opossums, and various othe wildlife to enter the back yard. This usually occurs well after dark. Lexie and Katy (being the good hunting breeds they are) usually become possessed and they run wildly, trailing the offender by scent all through the yard. An opossum got cornered one night, but finally made a retreat through the fence unscathed. About a week ago, as I took them out back for their nite-nite ritual, I saw 2 bunnies on the patio---fortunately, they made a quick exit.

Tonight, I was on the phone talking to Brooke and Katie began barking and growling from deep within. She sounded like I would want her to sound if there was a prowler---very threatening and commanding. In the distance, I could hear Lexie barking also. I called them, called them, and called them to no avail. Then, there was a sulfuric, nasty scent permeating the air....SKUNK!

Oh my Lord! What was I going to do if the dogs were sprayed. They finally came up to the patio and luckily were not contaminated. I got them in without hesitation and said a quick prayer of thanksgiving.

I know that this post would have been alot more interesting had they been sprayed.....but I am just pleased that we made it through unscathed.

2 comments:

brooke said...

Still...a tomato juice bath would've been fun for everyone!

Ruth said...

Hilarious! Oh, the dogs. I am glad they are still getting into trouble without Luna!